Criminal Justice Update
Media > Newsletters > On the Job: Criminal Justice Update > Summer/Fall 2020 > Body armor grants expanded

On the Job RSS feeds

Criminal Justice Update

Body armor grants expanded


The Ohio Law Enforcement Body Armor Program has been granted $3.5 million to help local law enforcement agencies buy vests for their officers this fiscal year, which runs through June 30, 2021.

Since July 1, 2018, the Attorney General’s Office, which administers the program, has awarded $5.4 million to 525 local law enforcement agencies in all 88 Ohio counties.

Agencies that have not yet received $40,000 may apply for funding using applications available on the Ohio Law Enforcement Gateway (OHLEG).

Through the program, law enforcement agencies apply for bulletproof vests with a local match of 25% of the cost. The Bureau of Workers’ Compensation pays the remaining 75%, up to $40,000.

To see where the funding has gone so far, visit